Symptoms of an identity crisis
Having an identity crisis isn’t a diagnosable condition, so there aren’t typical “symptoms,” as with a cold or flu. Instead, here are the signs you may be experiencing an identity crisis:
- You’re questioning who you are — overall or with regards to a certain life aspect such as relationships, age, or career.
- You’re experiencing great personal conflict due to the questioning of who you are or your role in society.
- Big changes have recently occurred that have affected your sense of self, such as adivorce.
- You’re questioning things such as your values, spirituality, beliefs, interests, or career path that have a major impact on how you see yourself.
- You’re searching for more meaning, reason, or passion in your life.
It’s completely normal to question who you are, especially since we change throughout our lives. However, when it begins to affect your daily thinking or functioning, you may be having a crisis of identity.
Photo: Getty Images